Product Narrative: hearing aids
The Product Narratives are key elements of our AT2030 objectives, helping to identify opportunities for AT2030 and others to test innovative models of what works to improve access to Assistive Technology with the potential to reach scale, through innovative products, new service delivery models and local capacity.
These reports will be also foundational in informing ATscale's activities and investments in line with Objective II of ATscale Strategy Overview to identify and invest in interventions required to shape markets and overcome supply and demand-side barriers for priority AT.
We look forward to engaging with partners interested in aligning their activities with the proposed strategic approach to enable the sector to collaboratively unlock potential to reach those most in need.
These reports were developed by the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) under the AT2030 programme in support of the ATscale Strategy.
Low access to hearing aids and low interest from global suppliers in low- and middle-income country markets is perpetuated by key barriers, including limited investment by governments; high cost of product and services to the end-users; lack of quality standards; and a service delivery model that requires high levels of resources in terms of personnel and infrastructure. Innovations in service delivery, diagnostic devices, and hearing aids themselves may provide opportunities to address these barriers.
Five strategic objectives are proposed to help develop the market for hearing aids in lower- and middle-income countries:
- Strengthen global policy guidance around service delivery standards, product selection and product quality;
- Support governments in lower- and middle-income countries to strengthen hearing aid provision including demand generation and investment in service delivery capacity, government purchasing and procurement support;
- Engage the private sector to expand the delivery of affordable, quality hearing aids and related services;
- Work with suppliers to enter markets in lower- and middle-income countries with affordable, quality hearing aids;
- Spur innovation to support simplified provision models and introduction of optimal products.
We would appreciate receiving ongoing feedback and comments on these documents and consultation on the narratives in development for other priority product areas.
To provide your feedback on the Hearing Aids product narrative and/or to indicate interest in participating in consultations with CHAI, please use the following form.
If you have any questions on this document, please reach out to the corresponding author, Margaret Savage from CHAI, at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about the AT2030 programme, please write to Rosa Salazar at email@example.com. For questions on ATscale, please write to Alison End Fineberg, Director of ATscale, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other accessible formats
Cite as: Kejariwal et al. (2019), Product Narrative: Hearing Aids, AT2030 programme & ATscale Global Partnership for Assistive Technology. Available at: https://at2030.org/pn-hearing-aids/